NEPTUNE FESTIVAL EVENTS WEATHER ADVISORY
For additional information call the Festival Office at 757-498-0215 or find up to the minute information on the Festival’s Facebook page – www.facebook.com/NeptuneFestival
Wednesday, September 23, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA: Due to adverse weather that is expected to severely impact the Virginia Beach Oceanfront through Sunday, The Virginia Beach Neptune Festival has made the decision to modify and/or cancel many of the offerings of the festival’s Boardwalk Weekend scheduled for this weekend (September 25 -27) for the safety of the general public and the festival participants.
Weekend weather forecast indicates probable oceanfront winds in excess of a sustained 40 miles per hour by Saturday bringing with it heavy rains, strong surf and beach erosion. As of today, current wind conditions are making it virtually impossible to set up the enormous infrastructure needed to support the many offerings of the weekend, including tents, stages, and sound.
“This is a heartbreaking decision,” says Nancy Creech, president of the Festival. “After months of planning, cancelling any portion of the festival will have a tremendous impact on the participants, not to mention the huge economic impact on the hotels and restaurants and the festival itself. However the safety of festival participants and guests is paramount.”
Currently, the following events of the festival are scheduled to continue:
- The festival’s signature event, Neptune’s International Sandsculpting Championship is currently underway and protected in a large 300’ tent. Judging will be Thursday and the Neptune’s Land of Sand will be open, conditions permitting, beginning Friday morning at 9 am. It will be open throughout the weekend and then daily through October 4th. Admissions is $5 per person with children 12 and under are free.
- Friday, 9 am – 11 pm
- Saturday 9 am – 11 pm, Sunday, 9 am – 9 pm
- Monday-Sunday, September 28-October 4, 10am-6pm daily
- Neptune’s Art and Craft Show is moving to the Virginia Beach Convention Center (1000 19th Street, Virginia Beach, VA 23451). Over 240 artists from around the country are expected to participate. The show will be free and open to the public. King Neptune XVII and the royal court will be at the Art and Craft Show on Saturday, September 26 at 11 am. Commemorative T-shirts and Posters will be for sale here as well!
- Friday 12 pm – 7 pm
- Saturday 10am – 7 pm
- Sunday, 10 am – 6pm
- Neptune Festival 8K Run will still take place with minor adjustments, and updates will be made as necessary
- THREE HEADLINING BANDS have been rescheduled to play at the Virginia Beach Convention Center on Saturday, September 26th, 5:00PM until 11:00PM. The following will be the only bands performing as part of the Festival activities:
- 4:00pm – Doors Open
- 5:00pm – Eric Lindell
- 7:30pm – The Marshall Tucker Band
- 9:30pm – Dumpstaphunk
Events that are cancelled are as follows:
- All music at 17th, 24th, and 31st Street Stages, Friday through Sunday
- Neptune’s Sailing Regatta on Saturday
- Neptune’s Grand Parade on Saturday
- Neptune’s Fireworks on Saturday night
- All food and exhibitors along the boardwalk, Friday through Sunday
- Neptune’s Youth Art Show on Sunday morning
- Neptune’s Volleyball Tournament on Saturday and Sunday